Writing this review and not revealing any spoilers is a truly difficult task. I’m going to keep it simple. If you’re a fan of Denise Grover Swank’s Rose Gardner Mysteries, I’m fairly certain you’re going to love the Magnolia Steele Mysteries. Denise has got a doozie of a mystery with Magnolia Steele, and I’m still working those puzzle pieces. Read this series because you’re a fan of Denise Grover Swank’s work. This book has a little bit of everything: murder, mystery, fun, badass heroines, and a touch of romance. By a “touch” I mean a dash, just the tiniest bit of romance sprinkled here and there. Totes sweet, no steam.
What I liked:
3) Detective Brady Bennett (I *really, really, really, really, really, REALLY* didn’t want to like him.)
What I didn’t like:
2) Whomever the stalker/murderer from Magnolia’s past is (I’ve got a couple of theories still in play after the completion of this installment!)
3) Det Owen Fraiser
4) Ava Milton
Who I don’t trust:
1) Everyone in the “didn’t like” list.
2) Colt Austin (he’s sweet, but I don’t trust him.)
3) Franklin police
4) Brady (yes, I like him, but I don’t trust him.)
What surprised me:
1) Magnolia finally saying something to Belinda about Roy
2) Roy (holy cannoli!)
3) Magnolia and Colt singing (that’s not really a spoiler, is it?)
4) The fast succession of murders (also not really a spoiler, this is a mystery series after all!)
There. I did it. My review in lists. I’ve been doing a lot of lists lately. Sometimes they make me feel better.